Available on Amazon for $9.99.
The Public Relations Profession
- Is public relations a good career choice?
- The profession has challenges
- Historic practices impede the profession’s growth
- Its market value depends on how public relations is defined
- What is jargon doing to the profession?
- What’s it like to ‘sell’ public relations services?
- What’s your preference: practicing PR or teaching PR?
- Success in the profession requires a strategy
Getting started in the public relations profession
- Get more out of public relations classes
- Get superlative recommendation letters
- Get what you want from internships
- Internships, entry jobs and the matter of pay
- Your portfolio presentation due!
- Add leadership, rather than memberships, to your resume
- Answer the tough job interview questions
- Shud job inerviews inclood spelling tests?
- Why did you bring an AP stylebook to this interview?
- Influence prospective employers to hire you
- Post your online image with purpose
- Professional decorum: what does that mean?
- Prepare for a surprise federal search and seizure of your files
- Think now about teaching public relations later
Tactics to excel in class and at work
- Improve your public relations writing in 16 controllable ways
- Easily overcome writer’s block
- Navigating over rocks of distrust
- Little tips with big impacts in presenting speeches
- What you need to know in writing for executives
- Advise executives to lead with compassion
- Show executive managers how to build cultural competence
- Reduce stakeholder anxiety with corporate social responsibility
- Growing need for online community engagement services
- Build online networks to reach influentials
- Is there a seat in the boardroom for the public interest?
- Creating irresistible funding opportunities
- Checklist for serious fund raising
- Think of donors as ‘lost patrons’
- Attract and retain a whole cadre of volunteers
- How to select a public relations firm
- What to do when your grade depends on other team members
- A whimsical introduction to public relations plans
- Preparing to write a public relations plan
- Working and presenting effectively in teams
- Use CPM to present public relations plans visually
- Tactics for the first meeting with a potential client
- What clients expect from PR account execs and consultants
- Put a backbone in crisis communication plans
- Gain confidence in responding to news media calls
- Afraid to critique advertising proposals? If so, why?
- Avoid outrage—know the difference between risk and crisis communication
- Nuggets of wisdom to avoid hard knocks and to feel good
The Playbook is available on Amazon, link below, for $9.99.